Here's Why this Toyota Corolla was the 3rd Best Small Car Ever* | review #5
Video Details + Credits
*in Canada / The 2013 Toyota Corolla CE was kindly provided by Aleksei P. / Professional Corolla footage courtesy of Toyota from here.
What Else is There?
I was given access to the E140 for about two hours and it was incredibly bland. It's quite difficult to make an entertaining review with a car like this. I mean it's not possible since Top Gear did their own review of the Corolla, AKA "fastest car in the world". If you're looking for a fun, high-adrenaline car review with explosions and jumps...this isn't the place. If this review will aid your used car purchasing decisions even in the slightest, I've done my job. So here we go!
Specs 'n Stuff
- Price: test car purchased used for $11,000 CAD
- Year: 2013
- Trim: CE
- Engine: 1.8L DOHC 16-valve I-4
- Transmission: 4-speed automatic
- Power: 98kW / 132hp
- Torque: 174Nm / 126lb-ft
- Curb Weight: 1260kg / 2777lbs
- Drive Type: front-wheel drive
- Length: 4539mm / 178.7 inches
- Width: 1760mm / 69.3 inches
- Height: 1466mm / 57.7 inches
- Wheelbase: 2601mm / 102.4 inches
- Cargo (seats up): 348 litres / 12.3 cubic feet
- Cargo (seats down): 2608 litres / 92.1 cubic feet
- Efficiency: 7.4L/100km (city), 5.6L/100km (highway) / 13.5km/L (city), 17.9km/L (highway) / 32mpg (city), 42mpg (highway)
- Max Range: 780km / 485 miles
Short Story Even Shorter
There have been many theories as to why the 2013 Corolla sold 11,000 units fewer than the '13 Elantra and almost 20,000 less than the Civic. My theory is this: bland styling, buttery smooth ride quality, and a quiet car weren't the top three priorities for Canadian car buyers at the time. The E140, and even E170, Corolla have an unusually high-up driving position. Combine that with a boring-yet-understated exterior and interior design, it may detract buyers and it has. I also wouldn't like to fall asleep at the wheel; almost have during my test drive. As for the "buttery" smooth ride quality, I should probably emphasize that it's more like "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" butter. It's smooth, just not real butter smooth.